Friday, October 28, 2011

Udo's Oil? Mercola's Oil?

Today Dr Mercola posted a note about krill oil that is marketed under his name.  I'm not complaining, just explaining.  We all need to make a living.



I often see Mercola's articles on krill oil - and I have often wondered how krill oil compares, from a health perspective, from Udo's Oil.  It is my opinion that Udo's Oil is thoroughly a researched health product, not a medicine.  Dr Mercola tends to take a medical view point, he is a doctor after all, more often than a health viewpoint.

You can view the article here:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/28/astaxanthin-makes-fish-oil-work-better.aspx?e_cid=20111028_DNL_art_2

Here are the comments I left on Dr Mercola's blog, although I don't really expect a response - he seldom responds to comments.
===================================================================

I have often seen Dr Mercola's comments about krill oil, and wondered if it is worth pursuing for my health, and it is good to learn more with this article - and comments by others about krill oil and astaxanthins.

I always try to look at health from a health point of view, not a medical view - and to my eye, this article tends more towards a medical viewpoint, saying things like "beneficial effects on cardiovascular health, inflammation, mental health, and neurodegenerative diseases". We need a health paradigm to support our search for personal health freedom: http://personalhealthfreedom.blogspot.com/2011/01/health-paradigm.html 

Omega 3 oils are essential nutrients, not medicines and we should study them as nutrients. I highly recommend reading "Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill", by Udo Erasmus, to learn more about health and unhealthy fats.

Astaxanthins are not essential nutrients, and can only be viewed as toxins, remember of course that "many toxins are beneficial in specific situations" - written after I've had my morning cup of coffee.

Dr Mercola offers us Krill oil and endorses it under his own label. I'm not criticizing - we all need to make a living.  Dr Mercola is an expert in Omega 3 oils. I respect his opinion and advice.

Udo Erasmus has a PhD in Nutrition, and offers us "Udo's Oil", from a balanced health viewpoint in addition to a 'medical' viewpoint.

Udo's oil provides three essential oils, Omega 3, Omega 6 and Omega 9.  Krill oil contains, according to Mercola, krill oil provides "provides 14 percent EPA and DHA", which I believe do not exist in Udo's Oil Blend. Udo does offer a DHA oil blend for vegetarians who do not get DHA from foods.

I would like to see Dr Mercola review the research on Udo's oil, for his own personal knowledge.  I would love to see Dr Mercola working with Udo Erasmus to pool their knowledge and resources - and improve our health.
====================================================================

Yours in health, tracy
http://personalhealthfreedom.blogspot.com/p/subject-index.html




Tracy is the author of two book about healthicine: